ARCHITECTURE TOUR OF DOWNTOWN REGINA
Itinerary for the Day…
10:10 – Leave Deshaye
10:30 – Arrive Down town *Bus will drop us off near Hotel Sask.
10:40 -11:25 – Walking Tour
11:30 – Lunch Break at Plaza (Victoria Park) or if it rains, in Children’s Library Area at Public Library *Arrangements made with supervisor
12:10 – Washroom break at Public Library
12:50 – Bus pick up *In front of Hotel Sask (close to Hotel Sask)
1:05 – Warehouse District Bus Tour (Approx. 30 minutes)
1:40 – Tour Project Site on Dewdney and take photos (30 minutes)
2:10 – Tour the Kreate Architecture Office 2300 Dewdney
(Washroom available in building)
2:45 – Leave Kreate Architecture Office on Dewdney and return to Deshaye
3:10-3:15 – Arrive back at Deshaye
ARCHITECTURE GOES TO SCHOOL - Walking Tour of Downtown Regina
Buildings of Note… Be sure to take photos and complete your Questionnaire Sheet for your Sketchbook as part of a REFLECTION of this tour…
1) Financial Building (Hamilton and 13th) – Architect: Roger Mitchell; Modern
2) First Canadian Place (Hamilton and 13th) – Architect: Roger Mitchell; Modern
3) Hotel Saskatchewan (Victoria Ave) – Neoclassical and Romanesque
4) Sask Power Building (Victoria Ave) – Architect: Joe Pedic; Modern
5) Federal Building – (Victoria Ave) – Architects: Clemenshaw/Portnall; Neoclassical and Romanesque
6) Victoria Park Building – (Victoria Ave) – Architects: Storey/Vanegmund; Craftsman
7) Scarth Street Mall (Revitalization Project)– Commercial Building of 1920’s; Craftsman
8) Twin Towers (12th Ave) – Architects: Sigmore, Owens, Merrell; Walternetch of Chicago; Modern
9) Northern Crown Building – Scarth Street – Greek Revival
10) Globe Theatre Building – Institutional Classical
11) Princess Theatre – Art Nouveau (was a Vaudeville Theatre… theatre seats are still hidden under the floors of present business)
12) 12th Ave Plaza/Mall – New Plaza!! – Ultra Modern
13) Regina Public Library (12th Ave) – Architects: Izum, Arnott, Sugiama of Regina; Modern
14) Knox Metropolitan Church – Victoria Ave – Gothic
15) Sports Hall of Fame Building – Romanesque and Greek Revival
16) Balfour and Frontenac Apartments (Lorne St.) – Italianate
17) Martin Place Courtyard/Law Office (by Hotel Sask) – Architect: Roger Mitchell; Modern
18) Cornwall Coop/Senior Housing Project – (Cornwall St) – Architect: Roger Mitchell; Modern
19) WAREHOUSE DISTRICT BUS TOUR… LISTEN TO COMMENTS FROM OUR MENTOR ARCHITECT…
20) PROJECT SITE TOUR – WHAT DO YOU NOTICE ABOUT THE SURROUNDING NEIGHBOURHOOD? My Observations…
21) What are the different jobs in an Architect’s office? Name 4 jobs at the Kreate Architecture Office.
22) SITE VIEW… What do you notice about the site from the office? Any other observations?
ARCHITECTURE GOES TO SCHOOL SKETCHBOOK REFLECTION QUESTIONS…
Choose 8 of the buildings we visited on the tour, and answer the questions below in your sketchbook. A visual of how it should look in your sketchbook will be explained in class.
1. Name of building:
2. What is or was it used for?
3. Who uses it now?
4. What I like most about the building – try to describe it… remember you can use a photo with a description to help explain your opinion.
5. What would I change about the building.
6. This building reminds me of…
7. What I think the building is made of…
8. Rate this building out of 5… How many stars??
9. Take a photo of the building…