Wow, watch the following video, "A Class Divided". Really interesting and thought provoking!!!
click on the link below....
Now watch U2's "One" video
One Assignment - Please note that there are other aspects to the assignment, including a viewing chart, that the students received in class. Here is the song assignment and reflection.
At every U2 concert, Bono invites the audience to learn more about the One Campaign to Make Poverty History. Already, more than 650,000 people have joined the movement. The goal is to collect the names of 1 million U.S. residents and persuade the federal government to dedicate 1% of the U.S. budget toward “basic needs--education, health, clean water, food, and care for orphans.” According to ONE this “would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation in the poorest countries." U2 is an example of a band that is going beyond mere words and one who works hard to make a difference.
1. Why is the song called “One”?
2. Who is the intended audience?
3. What is the message? What is the song writer, Bono, imploring us to do?
4. Choose a passage from the song that “speaks to you” or that you connect with the most. Explain why this passage connects with you.
5. Diversity Viewing Assignment: Find a song similar to this one and explain why the song connects to:
a. The Themes – “valuing diversity and helping make a difference” – Explain with specific lyrics from the song why it connects to the theme.
b. In the form of a paragraph explain why this song resonates with you. Why do you connect with the song?
c. Post your Diversity Viewing Assignment on http://www.kidblog.org/
*** Each of you was given an account.